Washington AHGP
Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Grays Harbor County
Aberdeen

Aberdeen
Bulletin
, established on July 31, 1889, with E. C. Finch as proprietor and Frank Owen as editor. Independent. No files have been located.

Herald, founded in 1886 by A. M. Telford. Democratic. Ceased publication on July 1, 1917. Partial files are located in The Public Library of Hoquiam, University of Washington Library and Washington State College Library.

Elma*
Chronicle
, established on May 25, 1889, by R. M. Watson. Complete files in the publication office and about ten years of the issues in the Hoquiam Public Library.

Grays Harbor City*
Times
, established on June 5, 1890, by E. B. Piper. The paper suspended when the real estate boom of that time collapsed.

Hoquiam*
Chehalis Tribune
, established in November, 1890, by Messrs Carson and Stoneroad. (Charles Prosch, in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 44.)

Grays Harbor News, established on March 21, 1885, by Otis M. Moore Brothers. Died young. (Edwin N. Fuller, in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 83.)

Grays Harbor Washingtonian, established on June 5, 1889, by Otis M. Moore. Partial files are saved in the Hoquiam Public Library and the State Library at Olympia.

Montesano**
Washington Farmer
, a monthly, established in May, 1884, by M. J. Luark. (Edwin N. Fuller, in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 83.)

Vidette, established on February 3, 1883, by J. W. Walsh and J. E. Calder, who had met on their way to the coast. They got work on the Tacoma Ledger, Walsh as city editor and Calder as foreman of the job office. They decided on a venture for themselves and decided on the Grays Harbor Country as better for the publication of timber claim notices. These paid $10 each and during the first year the paper cleared $10,000 from that one source. On January 6, 1922, the paper entered its fortieth volume and in that issue J. E. Calder told the story of the beginnings. As the first paper was being printed, the population of the town gathered around the office. "Finally J. E. Calder, business manager of the new publication, appeared at the head of the steps with a bundle of papers, and there was a scramble to see who would get the first issue. The honor went to Patterson Luark, father of Marcellus Luark, and the paper is treasured still with other pioneer relics." The second paper in that region, the Grays Harbor News, of Hoquiam, was soon absorbed by the Vidette. (Charles Prosch, in Washington Press Association Proceedings, 1887-1890, page 44.) Fragments of files are in the Public Libraries of Hoquiam and Seattle.

Back

Footnote:
* Now Part of Seattle
** Then Chehalis County.

Please Come Back Again!

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 -  AHGP - Judy White
All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work