Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

 

Baadam Point ~ Byron Washington Geographic Names

Baadam Point, in Clallam County, northeast of entrance to Neah Bay. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, called it "Village Point." Kellett's Chart, 1847, calls it "Mecena Point." The United States Coast Survey in 1852 found a neighboring Indian village called Baadah and that is the name used in the Pacific Coast Pilot. Recent charts retain this name, but with the last letter changed, making it Baadam.

Bachelors Island, in Clarke County. On Saturday, March 29, 1806, the Lewis and Clark Expedition gave this island the name Cathlapole (one spelling being Quathlapotle) Island after the Indian nation of that name, who lived near there. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, named it "Pasauks Island" and what is now Bachelor Island Slough was called Pigeon Creek. Recent charts carry the name Bachelor for both features.

Bacon, in Grant County. The place was named by the, railroad builders in 1900. The name was given as a joke, but still remains. (Arch Gill Bacon, in Names MSS., Letter 523.)

Badger, in Badger Flats, four miles north of Badger Canyon, in Benton County. Badgers were numerous in that vicinity and as the water of Badger Springs was first found flowing from a badger hole the name so plentifully used was suggested. (W. L. Bass, in Names MSS., Letter 224.)

Badile Bay, see Padilla Bay.
Bag Island, see Brown's Island.
Bahia de Gaston, see Bellingham Bay.
Bahia de la Asuncion, see Columbia River.
Bahia de Nunez Gaona, see Neah Bay.
Bahia de Quimper, see New Dungeness Bay.

Bailey, a town in Grant County. It was named by Mrs. R. J. Bailey on March 21, 1911. (Robert A. Bailey, in Names MSS., Letter 100.)

Bainbridge Island, in Kitsap County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, by discovering Agate Passage, made known the existence of the island. It was named in honor of Captain William Bainbridge, hero of the Constitution in the Java action, and one of the famous men in United States naval records.

Baird, a town in Douglas County. It was named in honor of James Baird, a Scotchman, on whose homestead the post office was located, and he was the first postmaster. (N. E. Davis, in Names MSS., Letter 116.)

Baker, see Concrete, Skagit County.

Baker, a mountain in Whatcom County, see Mount Baker.

Baker Bay, in Pacific County, near the mouth of the Columbia River. It was named in 1792 by Lieutenant W. R. Broughton of the British expedition whom Captain Vancouver sent to explore the Columbia River, previously discovered and named by Captain Robert Gray, the American. The name was in honor of Captain James Baker of the American schooner Jenny, which Broughton found anchored in the bay. The Lewis and Clark Expedition makes this entry: "This Bay we call Haley's Bay from a favorite trader with the Indians." Sergeant Patrick Gass of the same expedition called it "Rogue's Harbor" from trouble with Indians. The name Baker Bay has persisted. It is often written Baker's Bay.

Baker Lake, in the vicinity of Mount Baker, Whatcom County.

Baker River, a tributary of the Skagit River in Whatcom and Skagit Counties. The History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, page 118, says: "In 1877, a party, consisting of Otto Element, Charles von Pressentin, John Duncan, John Rowley and Frank Scott, set forth from Mount Vernon in canoes manned by Indians to explore the upper Skagit. At the mouth of what the Indians called the Nahcullum River, which Element renamed Baker River, the party debarked." The proximity of the great mountain of that name was the reason for the rechristening.

Balch's Cove, in Pierce County; see Glencove.

Balch Passage, between Anderson and McNeil Islands, in Pierce County. The Inskip chart, 1846, shows it as "Ryder Channel." Lafayette Balch, owner of the brig "George Emory," in 1850, failed to receive proper encouragement from the townsite owners at Olympia and moved to the newly established Fort Steilacoom, where he began a merchandising business. It was in his honor that the nearby waterway was named.

Ballard, formerly an independent city, now a portion of the City of Seattle, King County. R. W. Grover (Names MSS., Letter 571) says: "On July 17, 1882, the present site of Ballard was platted in five and ten-acre tracts under the name of Farmdale Homestead, by John Leary, Thomas Burke and W. R. Ballard. In May, 1888, Farmdale Homestead was vacated and Gilman Park plat was substituted, which consisted of some 700 acres. Captain W. R. Ballard was the active manager of the Gilman Park enterprise, which was promoted by a corporation called the West Coast Improvement Company. In 1889, the Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern (now absorbed by the Northern Pacific) Railway Company constructed a spur to Gilman Park. Mr. Jennings, manager of the road, needing a name for the station at the end of the spur, decided to honor Captain Ballard and the new station was called Ballard. The name Gilman Park ceased almost immediately as a local designation for the townsite, but it was not until November, 1890, that steps were taken to change its legal name when, at a public meeting called chiefly for the purpose of discussing incorporation, Mr. R. W. Grover made the motion that Gilman Park be known as Ballard."

Ballsam Bay, see Bellingham Bay, Whatcom County.

Bancroft, in Skagit County. The History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, page 247, says: "A town laid out around Alder Academy, Fidalgo Island, in 1883 by Rev. E. O. Tade. It was so named in honor of Hubert Howe Bancroft, the author of the Pacific Coast series. An unsuccessful enterprise, which never prospered beyond the sale of a few lots."

Bangor, on Hood Canal, in Kitsap County. The place was formerly called "Three Spits," as there are three spits adjacent to one another jutting out into Hood Canal. When a post office was being established there the post office department gave it the name of Bangor. (H. W. Goodwin, in Names MSS., Letter 412.)

Bare Bluff, see Jim Crow Point, Columbia River.

Bare Island, north of Waldron Island, in San Juan County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, charted Ship Jack Island, evidently intending that the name should embrace the two small islands. The Admiralty Chart, known as the Richards Chart, 1858-1860, shows the smaller island as "Penguin Island." In the meantime, the United States Coast Survey, in 1853, observed the contrast in what were then called the "Shipjack Islands" and charted them under the new names Wooded and Bare Islands. On subsequent charts the name of Bare Island has persisted, while that of "Wooded Island" has gone back to Shipjack Island.

Barnes Island, northeast of Orcas Island, in San Juan County. The Spaniard Eliza, 1791, charted Barnes and Clark Islands as "Islos de Aguayo," using part of the long name of a Spanish nobleman who will be more particularly noted under the name of Orcas Island. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, here honored an American naval hero as was done in the other names of islands in what they called the "Navy Archipelago."

Barneston, in King County. The postmaster writes (Names MSS., Letter 466): "Barneston is so named in honor of John G. Barnes of Seattle. At the time the post office was established at this place, Mr. Barnes was one of the property owners in this vicinity and the post office was named in his honor, June 12, 1901."

Barren Island, a small islet north of San Juan Island, in San Juan County.

Barrett Lake, in Whatcom County. It was named in honor of Henry Barrett, who owned land there. (Fred L. Whiting, in Names MSS., Letter 156.)

Barrier River, see Methow River.

Barrows Bay, see Yukon Harbor in Kitsap County.

Barry, a post office in Douglas County. It was named in 1893 in honor of A. J. Barry, who was postmaster at the time. The name was retained, though the office was moved to Stenson Ferry and Mrs. R. C. Steveson became postmistress. (Names MSS., Letter 216.)

Basalt Point, north of Port Ludlow, in Jefferson County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, called it "Point Kanawi." The United States Coast Survey evidently gave the name in 1855 as it appears on the charts of that and subsequent years.

Bascomb, a supposed town in Okanogan County. Guy Waring, of Winthrop, writes (Names MSS., Letter 291): "Bascomb is a laughing place on the map. There is not and never was any such place, but instead it was the homestead of Henry Bascom Station, which the surveyor of rectangular townships that in this mountain country were as a round peg in a square hole, called, carelessly, Bascom 'Station' instead of Station and on the maps it has been Bascom Station ever since. Draw a pen through it. Mr. Station is at present living at Twisp."

Battery Point, one of the names for Alki Point. It was given that name by the United States Coast Survey in 1856. George Davidson, of that Survey (Pacific Coast Pilot, page 607), says that the Admiralty chart corrected to 1865 shows this point as Roberts' Point (the Wilkes names of 1841) and he also says that the Indian name was "Me-kwah-mooks." The recent Government charts use the name Alki Point.

Battle Ground, a town in Clarke County. Aug. H. Richter writes (Names MSS., Letter 538): "In early days, forty or forty-five years ago, the Indians drove off livestock across the Lewis River three miles north of this place. The grandchild of Chief Jack told me the whole story thirty years ago. The Twenty-first Infantry from Vancouver was ordered out and there was fighting all around here. The soldiers received orders in the morning to shoot all Indians on sight. While the scouts were out, peace was declared, but they did not know it, and accidentally shot and killed the chief. In 1886, I built a store here and called it Battle Ground Store. In 1902, I platted the place."

Battleship Island, a small islet north of San Juan Island, in San Juan County. It is so named because of its resemblance to a battleship.

Bay Center, a town in Pacific County. The name was first spelled Bay Centre. It was suggested by Mrs. Mattie Rhoades, then Miss Mattie Goodpasture, as the village site was about the middle of the landward side of Willapa Harbor. (L. L. Bush, in Names MSS., Letter 97.)

Bay City, a town in Grays Harbor County. It was named because of its location on South Bay. (American Pacific Whaling Company, in Names MSS., Letter 45.)

Bayview, a town on Padilla Bay, Skagit County. It was platted and named on April 7, 1884, by William J. McKenna, the pioneer who died on May 3, 1916. The object in selecting the place was the desire of D. A. Jennings, a wholesale grocer of Seattle, to establish there a branch store.

Bazalgette Point, on the northwest extremity of San Juan Island, in San Juan County. It was named in 1868 by Captain Pender of the Royal Navy in honor of Captain George Bazalgette of the British Army, who commanded at British Camp, 1860-1867, during part of the time of joint occupancy of the island. This was during the dispute over the ownership of the San Juan Islands.

Beach, a town on the eastern shore of Lummi Island, Whatcom County. It was named in honor of Wade H. Beach, who filed on his land claim there on November 20, 1884. (Mrs. Pauline A. Buchholz, in Names MSS., Letter 507.)

Bear River; emptying into the southeast portion of Willapa Harbor, Pacific County. The Indian name was "Atisowil," which is said to mean Bear River.

Bean's Point, see Restoration Point.

Beaver Lake, a small lake five miles east of Lake Sammamish, King County. J. B. Scott (Names MSS., Letter 499) says: "A habitat of beavers years ago."

Beckett Point, south of Cape George, Port Discovery, in Jefferson County. The Wilkes Exploring Expedition, 1841, charted it as "Sandy Point" Beckett Point evidently originated with the Kellett chart, 1846, and has been retained on subsequent maps.

Bee, a post office on McNeil Island, Pierce County. The name arose from the fact than an extensive apiary was maintained there when the post office was secured.

Beebe, a post office in Douglas County. It was named in honor of James Beebe of Wakefield, Massachusetts. He was president of the Wenatchee-Chelan Orchard Company, which owned a large orchard tract on the east side of the Columbia River. The office was established in December, 1912. (Grace D. McInarie, in Names MSS., Letter 510.)

Belfast, see Mentor in Garfield County.

Bell's Bluff, see Cape Horn, Columbia River.

Belle Rock, in the middle of Rosario Strait, San Juan County. The United States Coast Survey discovered, named and charted this danger to navigation in 1854. George Davidson, of that Survey, describing it (Pacific Coast Pilot, page 563), says: "The steamship Republic ran upon this rock, also the pilot-boat Potter, and other vessels."

Bellevue Island, one of the former names of San Juan Island.

Bellevue Point, on the western shore of San Juan Island. It was charted in 1855 by the United States Coast Survey and evidently obtained its name from the former name of San Juan Island. Bellingham, a city on the bay of the same name in Whatcom County. The first white man to enter the bay was the Spaniard Eliza, 1791, who named in Seño de Gaston or Gulf of Gaston. On June 11, 1792, the bay was surveyed by Joseph Whidbey in a boat excursion under Vancouver. The latter, on receiving his officer's report, charted the name Bellingham Bay. He does not say for whom the name was given, but he frequently associated the surnames and Christian names of those honored by giving them to nearby or related geographic features. He gave the name of Point William to the prominent point south of the entrance to the bay. In studying up his contemporaries, it was found that Sir William Bellingham checked over Vancouver's supplies and accounts as he was leaving England. There is very little doubt that Sir William Bellingham was the man thus honored. In that same year, 1792, the Spaniards of the "Sutil y Mexicana" Expedition again charted the bay and sought to retain a form of Spanish name by calling it Bahia de Gaston. The Spanish charts were not published for years, while the British charts appeared promptly and fixed the name permanently. David Thompson of the North-West Company of Montreal referred to the bay as "Ballsam Bay." The United States Coast Survey in 1854 showed the northern portion of the bay as "Gaston Bay," a partial recognition of the older Spanish name. The first town on the bay was given the Indian name Whatcom. Later there were established the towns of Sehome and Fairhaven. There were several combinations of these rival settlements, all of which later joined in the one City of Bellingham. Mrs. Ella Higginson, the poet, says she has had the distinction of having lived in three cities of Washington, Sehome, New Whatcom and Bellingham, without having moved out of her house.

Bellingham Channel, the waterway between Cypress and Guemes Islands, Skagit County. The Indian name was "Tut-segh." The Spaniard Eliza, 1791, called it "Canal de Guemes." The present name was given by the United States Coast Survey in 1853, taking it, of course, from the large bay just beyond.

Belletown, that part of Seattle, King County, which developed on the donation claim of William N. Bell, one of the original founders of the city.

Belma, a former post office in Yakima County. The postmaster at Grandview writes (Names MSS., Letter 498): "No town; there used to be a post office and a little store. Office was discontinued about five years ago; store also. Schoolhouse goes by the name of Belma School."

Bench Creek, a tributary of Bonaparte Creek in Okanogan County. It was named from being on a prominent bench not far from Anglin. (Charles Clark, in Names MSS., Letter 288.)

Bennight, a town in Lewis County. On December 11, 1913, the town was named in honor of J. E. Bennight, manager of the Washington Coal & Mining Company, whose mines at the place so named are on the line of the Eastern Railway & Lumber Company's line to Kopiah.

Benston, a post office in Pierce County. The office was first called Huntersville, which was unsatisfactory. Mrs. Isabel Carlson (Names MSS., Letter 135) writes: "The post office department asked for a list of old settlers' names to select from and they chose Benston from my father's name, William Benston. I think it was in 1893."

Benton City, in Benton County. It was named in 1909 by F. L. Pitman, chief engineer, and C. E. Woods, general right-of-way man of the North Coast Railroad. (Names MSS., Letter 587.)

Benton County organized under the law of March 8, 1905, and named in honor of Thomas H. Benton, a great friend of the West, while United States senator from Missouri.

Berlin, a projected town in Garfield County. The History of Southeastern Washington, page 549, says: "Berlin was platted January 9, 1883, by Charles Ward and Sarah E. Ward, his wife. Ward's addition was platted June 23, 1884, by the same parties. But this town existed only on paper. At one period it was rumored that Berlin would become a candidate for the county-seat as a compromise between Pomeroy and Pataha City, but nothing eventuated."

Berlin, a post office in King County. The postmaster (Names MSS., Letter 447) writes: "Named by the Great Northern Railroad Company in honor of Berlin, Germany, on account of the large sum provided by Germany for building the Great Northern."

Berrian, a post office in Benton County. "Named for the oldest settler here." (A. F. Berrian, in Names MSS., Letter 374.)

Bertodano Cove. This geographic feature appears on Kellett's Chart, 1847, and apparently on no others. It is located between Dungeness and Washington Harbor in Clallam County.

Bertrand Creek, a tributary of the Nooksack River, Whatcom County. It was named for James Bertrand, the first white man to settle on the creek. (Mrs. Phoebe Newton Judson, in Names MSS., Letter 187.)

Bessemer, a projected town in Skagit County. It was platted by Harrison Clothier in 1890 when the Cokedale mines were opened. It was town in name only.

Beulah Land, see Palissades, Douglas County.

Beverly, a town in Grant County. The name was chosen from Beverly, Massachusetts, by H. R. Williams, vice-president of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company, who introduced many eastern names along the western line. (Names MSS., Letter 530.)

Big Camass Plain, near Springdale, Stevens County. It was mentioned by that name by John Work, of the Hudson's Bay Company in his journal for September 20, 1825, and the name still persists. (T. C. Elliott, in Washington Historical Quarterly, July, 1914, page 166.)

Big Creek, an upper branch of the Yakima River, in Kittitas County. J. K. Duncan, topographer with Captain George B. McClellan, 1853, mentions the creek as "Wahnoowisha River." (Pacific Railroad Reports, Volume I., page 210.)

Big Island, see Blalock Island.

Big Lake, in Skagit County east of Mount Vernon. On James Tilton's Map of a Part of Washington Territory, 1859, it is shown as "Delacy's Lake."

Big Sheep Creek, in Stevens County, near the Canadian boundary. It is often called Sheep Creek and under the date of April 19, 1827, David Douglas, the botanist, writes: "Last night I forgot to say, a small stream four miles below our last camp falls into the river, called White Sheep River, from the antelopes found on its banks, a few miles back from the Columbia." (Journal Kept by David Douglas, 1823-1827, p. 248.)

Big Skookum, see Hammersley Inlet.

Bill Point, south cape of Eagle Harbor, Kitsap County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, named the harbor from its fancied resemblance to an eagle in shape. Wing Point still remains, but Bill Point does not so often appear on recent charts.

Bill of Orcas, see Point Doughty.

Bingen, in Klickitat County. Theodore Suksdorf (Names MSS., Letter 101) says: "The town was named by P. J. Suksdorf, owner of the premises, after the beautiful town on the Rhine, in Germany. The location of Bingen on the Columbia is much like Bingen on the Rhine. The town of Bingen was laid out in 1892. The post office was established two or three years later."

Birch Bay, in Whatcom County, near the Canadian boundary. In June, 1792, Vancouver made this bay an anchorage from which he sent out exploring parties in small boats. When describing the trees found on shore, he said: "and black birch; which latter grew in such abundance that it obtained the name of Birch Bay." The Spaniards, Galiano and Valdes, of the "Sutil y Mexicana" expedition, had already named it Ensenada de Garzon as they record meeting the Vancouver ships there on the evening of June 12, 1792. George Davidson (Pacific Coast Pilot, page 575) says the Indian name for the place was "Tsan-wuch."

Birch Point, north cape of Birch Bay in Whatcom County. The name arose from the older name of Birch Bay, The Spaniard, Eliza, 1791, seems to have charted this point as "Punta de Senor Jose." The Admiralty Chart known as Richards, 1858-1859, shows the point as "South Bluff."

Bird Rock, in Rosario Strait, east of Decatur Island, in San Juan County. This feature consist of three small rocky islets very close together and rising to a height of about forty-feet. The name was given by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841, undoubtedly from the fact that many sea birds were found nesting there.

Birdsview, a town in Skagit County on the Great Northern Railway. The postmaster (Names MSS., Letter 130) says the post office was named by George Savage in 1880. A different origin is given by the History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, page 119. There it is claimed that B. D. Minkler established the post office in 1880 and was the first postmaster. Continuing, "The name of Birdsview was not derived, as might be supposed, from any ornithological connection, but from the fact that Mr. Minkler's first name, which was Birdsey, was commonly abbreviated to Bird, and from this the town took its name."

Bishop, a town on Snake River in Whitman County. It was named by the railroad officials after Bishop Brothers, who settled on the bar there in 1877. (Names MSS., Letter 61.)

Bissell, a town on the Columbia River, in Stevens County. The postmaster (Names MSS., Letter 105) says: "Named by Postmaster General Bissell in 1898." Wilson S. Bissell was Postmaster General in President Cleveland's second Cabinet from 1893 to 1895, which requires adjustment of the above statement at least in regard to the year.

Black Creek, see Skohomish River.

Black Hills, west of Olympia, in Thurston County. They are mentioned in the Treaty with the "S'Klallam" Indians January 26, 1855, and they are shown on the Map of the Surveyor General of Washington Territory, 1857.

Black Lake, near Olympia in Thurston County.

Black River, two rivers of that name, one in King County, the other in Thurston County. The one in King County drained Lake Washington into the Duwamish River. This Black River at the present-site of Renton had the name of "Quo-doultz-spu-den" in the Duwamish language. Recent changes are doing away with this "Black River" as a geographic name. The river of that name in Thurston County has a longer history. In the Journal of John Work of the Hudson's Bay Company (published in the Washington Historical Quarterly, July 1912) we have one of the earliest known records of the river. When the North-West Company of Montreal was absorbed by the Hudson's Bay Company, Governor George Simpson brought out Doctor John McLoughlin to be Chief Factor of the Columbia District. Arriving at Fort George (Astoria) in November, 1824, Governor Simpson ordered an expedition to proceed northward to discover the mouth of Fraser River. Under James McMillan a party of forty-three, including John Work as one of the clerks, started on November 18, 1824, by way of what is now Willapa Harbor, a portage to Grays Harbor and up the Chehalis River. On Sunday, November 28, they continued up that stream "to where it receives a little river called the Black River from the Northward." Such a reference in the journal indicates that the name may have been used before the arrival of this party. In the same day's entry Work says: "The Black River, so named from the color of its water, is from 20 to 30 yards wide." On the next day they sent to an Indian village seeking Pierre Charles, "who has been with the Indians for some time." This is another evidence that this party was not the discoverers of Black River. On reaching Black Lake, Work simply remarks it as the source of the river, but on the return trip, under the date of December 26, he refers to it as "Scaadchet Lake." The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, refers to the river and lake as "Sachal." The Secret Mission of Warre and Vavasour reported, 1846 that light baggage could be forwarded by way of "the Satchet or Black River." (Washington Historical Quarterly, April, 1912, page 151.) George Gibbs in 1854 (Pacific Railroad Reports, Volume I., page 468) called the river "Satchall." Work declares in 1824 that there was ample evidence that the portages had long been used by Indians, which helps to account for the Indian names.

Black Rock, east of Blakely Island, in San Juan County. It was named by the United States Coast Survey in 1854. Near it the Survey named White Rock. These two were called "The Pointers" by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841.

Blaine, a city in Whatcom County at the Canadian boundary. It was named by Cain Brothers on April 23, 1885, in honor of James G. Blaine, Republican nominee for President the year before. (J. W. Sheets, Names MSS., Letter 349.)

Blake Island, near the entrance to Port Orchard, in Kitsap County. In charting this island in 1841, the Wilkes Expedition did not explain the choice of names. It seems most likely that it was intended as an honor for George Smith Blake, a naval officer who had charge of the United States Coast Survey, 1837-1848. This officer and Wilkes must have had many conferences before the expedition sailed in 1838.

Blake's Lake, in the northern portion of Spokane County. The missionary, De Smet, named it "Lake De Nef." (N. W. Durham, Spokane and the Inland Empire, page 139.)

Blakely, an island in San Juan County; a rock, harbor and town on Bainbridge Island in Kitsap County. The island and the harbor were both named by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841, in honor of Johnston Blakely, an American naval hero of the War of 1812. The name of the rock and of the town were derived from that of the harbor. In 1813, Blakely was given command of the new sloop-of-war Wasp, in which he made a number of most daring captures. On June 28, 1814, he captured the Reindeer, for which Congress voted him a gold medal. After a number of other successful exploits, news of the sloop ended. No word was ever received of the Wasp or her brave crew. There is now being made an effort to standardize the spelling of the name. The officer himself on one sheet of manuscript spelled his own name Blakely and Blakeley.

Blalock Island, in the Columbia River, Benton County. The name is in honor of Dr. Nelson G. Blalock, a Civil War surgeon, who became one of the best known pioneers of the Walla Walla country, his greatest ambition being to extend and improve fruit culture. One of his largest undertakings was on the island that now bears his name. He was a member of the Washington Constitutional Convention. For thirty years he was a member of the Board of Trustees of Whitman College and for twelve years he was President of the Board. He died at Walla Walla on March 14, 1913, aged 77 years. John Work of the Hudson's Bay Company mentioned in his journal for June 27, 1825, the island as "Big Island." T. C. Elliott, editor of the Work Journal, says the fur traders called it "Long Island." (Washington Historical Quarterly, April 1914, page 86.)

Blanchard, a town in Skagit County. In about 1913, the name of a town known as Fravel was changed to Blanchard. (Names MSS., Letter 25.)

Blind Bay, on the north shore of Shaw Island, in San Juan County.

Blockhouse, a town in Klickitat County. It was established in 1856 and was a fort for Government troops during the Indian war of that time. (Names MSS., Letter 524.)

Blowers Bluff, the north cape of Penn Cove, Whidbey Island, in Island County. A family by the name of Ford lived there about forty-five years ago when it was known as Fords Point. After the Fords left and the Blowers family lived there it became known as Blowers Bluff and is so indicated on the Government charts. (Names MSS., Letter 28.)

Blue Canyon, a town on Lake Whatcom, in Whatcom County. The townsite was located on a homestead taken up in 1886 by Fred Zobris. Joe Wardner, a noted miner for whom the town of Wardner, Idaho, is named, purchased some coal claims about 800 feet above Lake Whatcom in 1891. In climbing up for his second inspection of the properties on a hazy autumn day he said: "We will call this Blue Canyon Mine and the townsite, Blue Canyon," and that was done. (J. D. Custer, in Names MSS., Letter 209.)

Blue Mountains, in Columbia and Garfield Counties. One of the first references to these mountains is by Gabriel Franchere, one of the Astorians. On arriving at the Walla Walla River, he wrote: "A range of mountains was visible to the S. E., about fifty or sixty miles off." He does not give the mountains a name. On July 9, 1811, David Thompson of the North West Company of Montreal, refers to them as "Shawpatin Mountains," but in his entry for August 8, 1911, he says: "Beginning of course see the Blue Mountains, between the Shawpatin and the Snake Indians." In a footnote, T. C. Elliott, editor of the Thompson Journal, says: "Apparently the first record of this name Blue as applied to these mountains." (Oregon Historical Society Quarterly, Volume XV, pages 57 and 121.) Alexander Ross, J. K. Townsend, David Douglas, Peter Skene Ogden, John Work and other early travelers continued the use of the name, Blue Mountains. One of the first references is by Rev. Gustavus Hines (Exploring Expedition to Oregon, published 1851, page 323): "As you approach the Blue Mountains on the south, particularly on the Umatilla and Walla Walla Rivers, the hills disappear, and you find yourself passing over a beautiful and level country, about twenty-five or thirty miles broad, on the farther borders of which rise with indescribable beauty and grandeur, that range which, from its azure-like appearance, has been called the 'Blue Mountains.' "

Blueslide, a town in Pend Oreille County. "Blueslide took its name from a point of the hill having slid into the river leaving a gap behind. The blue comes from the color of the face of the slide towards the river. It must have been named during rainy weather. The face is principally clay and when wet is blue, but when dry is more of a gray." (C. L. Peters, in Names MSS., Letter 132.)

Bluestem, a town in Lincoln County. It is in a large wheat growing section and "bluestem" is the principal kind of wheat grown there. This gave rise to the name. (H. A. Thompson, in Names MSS., Letter 256.)

Blunt's Island, see Smith Island.
Blustry Point, see Point Ellice.
Bly, a post office in Asotin County. It is named in honor of the postmaster, Joseph Ely.

Boat Channel, the passage between Turn and San Juan Islands, San Juan County. It is shown on the British Admiralty Chart, Number 2840, but is not named on the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey charts.

Boat Harbor, see Mats Mats.
Boca de Alava, see Cape Alava.
Boca de Caamano, see Admiralty Inlet.
Boca de Fidalgo, see Rosario Strait.
Boca de Flon, see Deception Pass.
Boca de Horcasitas, see San Juan Channel.

Bodie, a town in Okanogan County. It was named for the Bodie Mine. (Merrill & Rowe, in Names MSS., Letter 313.) A small creek at that place has the same name.

Boisfort, a town in Lewis County. Boisfort Prairie received its name at the hands of the French-Canadian employees of the Hudson's Bay Company. Pierre Charles, a Canadian half-breed, is reputed to have been the first settler there. The first American settler was C. F. White in 1852.

Bolton Peninsula, between Quilcene and Dabop Bays, Hood Canal, Jefferson County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, Volume XXIII., page 325, says: "Col-see-ed [Quilcene] Harbor is separated from Dabop Bay by Bolton Peninsula, which is 4 miles long, by 1 mile wide." No refrence is made to the honor intended by the name. There was a twelve-gun bomb-brig by that name and also a Midshipman William Finch, who afterward became Captain Bolton. He was placed in charge of the captured Nocton, a prize of the Essex. Wilkes, in his scheme of honors, might have intended either one of these.

Bonaparte, a creek, lake and mountain in Okanogan County. The creek is a tributary of the Okanogan River at Tonasket. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, charts the creek as "River Bonaparte." Bonilla Island, see Smith Island.

Bonita, a town in Douglas County. It was named in 1902 by Lieutenant Edward Nasler from a name he picked up in the Philippine Islands. (G. T. Goudrey, in Names MSS., Letter 421.)

Bonnie Lake, see Rock Lake in Spokane County.

Bordeaux, a town in Thurston County. It was named in 1900 in honor of Thomas Bordeaux, who started a large logging enterprise there. Dora E. Webb, in Names MSS., Letter 35.)

Bossburg, a town in Stevens County. It was platted in 1892 and named from the owners of the land, John Berg and C. S. Boss. (Elmer D. Hall, in Names MSS., Letter 520.)

Boston Harbor, near Olympia in Thurston County. C. D. Hillman, a Seattle real estate dealer, purchased the Dofflemyer donation claim at Dofflemyer Point and adjacent lands, which he platted and tried to sell under the name of Boston Harbor.

Boston Point, on Hood Canal near the present Pleasant Harbor. It was so named by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841, but the name as applied is not found on recent charts.

Bothell, a city in King County. George Bothell is a well-known citizen and early legislator of the state. He and his brother began in 1886 a logging and shingle-making business where the present city stands. In naming the place an honor was conferred upon their father, David C. Bothell. The city was incorporated in 1908. (I. T. Williamson, in Names MSS., Letter 371.)

Boulder Island, at southeastern extremity of Lopez Island, San Juan County. It was charted by the United States Coast Survey, 1855.

Boulder Reef, off the northwest shore of Sinclair Island, Skagit County. It was discovered and named by the United States Coast Survey in 1854. The description includes: "A huge erratic granite boulder is seen at ordinary tides inside the outer point of the reef." The British Admiralty chart of 1859 sought to name this "Panama Reef," probably from an accident to the steamship Panama, which was on the San Francisco run during the Fraser River gold excitement of 1858.

Boundary Bay, the western portion of Semiahmoo Bay, Whatcom County. The Galiano and Valdes expedition for the Spaniards, 1792, charted the whole gulf as "Ensenada del Eugaño," meaning "Gulf of the Deception," probably because the explorers had run into shallow water. The Admiralty chart of 1847 simply indicated shallow water. The United States Coast Survey named it "Mud Bay" in 1855, but on a second edition of the chart, it was called Boundary Bay and has so remained on all recent charts.

Bow, a town in Skagit County. William J. Brown secured a homestead in 1869 and his place became locally known as Brownsville. When the railroad brought growth, a post office was secured in July, 1901, and E. E. Heusted, the postmaster, had it named Bow at the suggestion of Mr. Brown in honor of the great Bow railroad station of London, England. (History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, page 236.)

Boxer Cove. This is now called Flounder Bay on the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey Chart Number 6380. It is on the northwest extremity of Fidalgo Island, facing Burrows Island. J. G. Kohl (Pacific Railroad Reports, Volume XII., Part I., page 300) says that he obtained verbal information (in 1854) that Wilkes had named Burrows Island in honor of Captain William Burrows, United States Navy, who lost his life in the ship Boxer. This naming of the island for the man and the little cove for his ship is in perfect accord with the Wilkes scheme of honors.

Boyd Creek, in Skagit County. It was named for L. A. Boyd, who located a home there in 1882. (Names MSS., Letter 130.)

Boyleston, a town in Kittitas County. It was named by H. R. Williams, vice-president of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company after the town of that name in Massachusetts. (F. L. Olmstead, in Names MSS., Letter 405.) (Names MSS., Letter 530.)

Brace Point, the southern cape of Fauntleroy Cove, south of Alki Point, King County. It was named by the United States Coast Survey in 1857. (Pacific Coast Pilot, page 612.)

Brackenridge Bluff, on north shore of Grays Harbor, west of Hoquiam, Grays Harbor County. It was named by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841, in honor of J. D. Brackenridge, assistant botanist of the United States ship Vincennes of the Wilkes Expedition. The same expedition sought to give another honor to this same man by naming for him "Brackenridge Passage' connecting Puget Sound and Carrs Inlet, between Fox and McNeil Islands, but that name did not persist.

Braden Creek, in Jefferson County. It was named for L. E. Braden, the original settler there in 1890. (Isaac Anderson, in Names MSS., Letter 157.)

Branum, see Whelan in Whatcom County.

Branham, an obsolete town in Skagit County. Its name was in honor of a man who once ran a shingle mill there. (Noble G. Rice, in Names MSS., Letter 48.)

Breakers, a town in Pacific County. It was named by J. M. Arthur in December, 1900, on account of an excellent view of the surf from a prominent sand ridge covered with grass to the edge of the ocean beach. (Names MSS., Letter 419.)

Bremerton, a city on Port Orchard, Kitsap County. It has grown into importance on account of the location there of the United States Navy Yard Puget Sound. It was named in honor of William Bremer, who is regarded as the founder of the city. He was born in Seesen, Duchy of Brunswick, Germany, in 1863. His experiences in Washington reached back to Territorial days. He died at his home in Seattle on December 28, 1910.

Brender Canyon, near Dryden in Chelan County. It was named for A. B. Brender, the first white settler in the canyon, 1882. (A. Manson, in Names MSS.t Letter 300.)

Brewster, a town in Okanogan County. John Bruster was the original homesteader there. He and Captain Alexander Griggs named the place in 1896. When the post office was being secured in 1898 D. L. Gillespie, the postmaster, sent in the name spelled Brewster instead of Bruster and it was accepted by the post office department. (L. A. Dall, in Names MSS.f Letter 550.)

Brisco Point, southern extremity of Hartstene Island, in Mason County. It was named by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841, in honor of William Brisco, a member of one of the crews of the expedition.

Broad Spit, on the eastern shore of Bolton Peninsula, Jefferson County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, charted it under the Indian name "Pildsh Point."

Broken Point, on the northwest shore of Shaw Island, San Juan County. The name appears on the British Admiralty Chart Number 2840, corrected to 1872, and has also been placed on the United States charts.

Brookfield, a town in Wahkiakum County. It was named by J. G. Megler in 1873, the year of his marriage, in honor of Brookfield, Massachusetts, the birthplace of his wife. Mr. Megler was proprietor of a salmon cannery at that place. He often represented his county in the Legislature. (Mrs. J. G. Megler, in Names MSS.t Letter 316.)

Broughton Point, on the southeast shore of Cypress Island, Skagit County. The name does not appear on recent charts. It is found on the British Admiralty Chart 2689, for 1858-1859, and was undoubtedly given in honor of W. R. Broughton, a lieutenant under Captain George Vancouver, in 1792.

Brown Island, on the United Coast and Geodetic Survey Chart 6380, dated January, 1912, two islands are shown with that name in San Juan County. One is at the mouth of Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, and the other between the western extremities of Orcas and Lopez Islands. The latter, on the Wilkes Chart, 1841, is included in the name of "Wasp Isles," but the same chart shows the other island (at the present Friday Harbor) as Brown's Island. Wilkes does not say for whom he named this island. There were fourteen men in his crews by the name of Brown and there were many heroes of the American Navy by that name. From careful study the conclusion is reached that the honor was intended for John G. Brown, listed as Mathematical Instrument Maker on the Vincennes of the expedition. The British Admiralty Chart 2840, corrected to 1872, shows both the Brown Islands and it may be that the one between Orcas and Lopez Islands received its name from the British mapmakers.

Brown Lake, west of Riverside, Okanogan County. It was named for William Brown, locally known as "Horse" Brown, who settled there in 1889. (H. T. Jones, in Names MSS., Letter 319.)

Brown's Cove, see Nellita, Kitsap County.

Brown's Island, off the northeast end of Puget Island, in Wahkiakum County. This island is so named on the county maps though no name for it appears on the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey Chart Number 6152, dated April, 1914. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, charted it as "Bag Island."

Brown's Junction, see Elbe, Pierce County.

Brown's Lake, southwest of Chewelah, Stevens County. It was named in 1862 after the nearest settler, Henry Brown, who came from Red River, Canada, in the fifties. With his family he frequently camped near the lake that now bears his name. (J. W. Patterson, in Names MSS., Letter 259.)

Brownsville, see Bow, Skagit County.

Bruce Channel, a former name for that portion of Carrs Inlet lying between McNeil and Fox Islands. The Inskip Chart, 1846, sought to establish several names near Nisqually. This one, like most of the others, failed to survive. A similar fate befell the name of "Brackenridge Passage," charted by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841, for this same waterway.

Bruceport, a town on Willapa Harbor, Pacific County. The name comes indirectly from the famous King of Scotland. In 1850 Captain Feldsted discovered oysters in what was then known as Shoalwater Bay and shipped a quantity to San Francisco. They arrived in bad condition but Anthony Ludlum then fitted out the schooner Sea Serpent and took a cargo of the oysters in safety to San Francisco. A company was at once formed to go into the business. James G. Swan, who was on the harbor at the time, gives the names (Northwest Coast, page 63) as "Messrs. Winant, Morgan, Hanson, Milward and Foster." Hubert Howe Bancroft (Works, Volume XXXI., page 34) gives a list of six partners, three of whom are different from the Swan list, as follows: "Alexander Hanson, George G. Bartlett, Garrett, Tyron, Mark Winant, John Morgan and Frank Garretson." This company secured the schooner Robert Bruce and sailed for Willapa Harbor with Captain Terry in command of the schooner. They proceeded to load the boat with oysters but on the third day the schooner was burned to the water's edge. Elwood Evans (History of the Pacific Northwest, Volume I., page 313) says that it was reported that the cook made the crew and partners unconscious by putting laudanum in their food, after which he set fire to the schooner. An old man named McCarthy, then living on the bay, aroused and rescued the men. They were without means and built cabins on the beach. They were known as the Bruce Company and the place secured the name of Bruceport. James G. Swan's book was published in 1857. Writing about 1854 he says: "We had now grown into the dignity of a village, and, at a meeting of the settlers, it was voted to name the town Bruceville (which has since been changed to Bruceport)." The Bureau of American Ethnology (Handbook of American Indians, Volume II., page 938) says the Chinook Indians had a village there at one time, called "Wharhoots."

Brush Prairie, a town in Clarke County. It was named by Elmorine Bowman from a large, bushy swamp on her father's homestead. (Birdella Levell, in Names MSS., Letter 575.)

Bryant, a town in Snohomish County. It was probably named for the Bryant Lumber and Shingle Company, about 1892.

Bryn Mawr, a town in King County. On April 19, 1890, Lillie R. Parker and her husband, William E. Parker, filed a plat of this place under its present name. "As I understand it, the Parkers came from Pennsylvania, and imported the name from that state. The words are Scotch and mean 'big brow' or 'big hill.'" (Melissa B. Dorflinger, in Names MSS., Letter 459.)

Buck Bay, on southeastern shore of Orcas Island, where the town of Olga is located, San Juan County. The British Admiralty Chart 2689 shows it as "Stockade Bay."

Buck Island, off southwest coast of Lopez Island, San Juan County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, charted it as one of the "Geese Islets."

Buckeye, a town in Spokane County. It was formerly known as "Hoch Spur" but was changed by the Buckeye Lumber Company, which operated a sawmill there. (Names MSS., Letter 191.) Buckingham, a former post office in Douglas County. It was named for J. A. Buckingham. (B. C. Ferguson, in Names MSS., Letter 77.)

Buckley, a city in Pierce County. It was first known as "Perkins Prairie" and later as "White River Siding." In 1888 it was given its present name in honor of Superintendent Buckley of the Northern Pacific Railroad division between Ellensburg and Tacoma. G. S. B. Dovell, in Names MSS., Letter 484.)

Bucoda, a city in Thurston County. The first settler there was Aaron Webster, 1854. Mr. Webster used the water power of Skookumchuck to run a little sawmill in 1857. Mr. Webster sold his farm to Oliver Shead, who gave to the little community growing around the mill the name Seatco, an Indian word supposed to mean "ghost" or "devil." Coal was discovered across the river and that property passed into the hands of Samuel Coulter. The Territorial penitentiary was located at "Seatco." The convicts were worked on a contract scheme and this gave rise to an unfavorable marketing condition for the lumber and coal products. In the meantime Mr. Coulter had associated with him John B. David, a Portland capitalist, and J. M. Buckley of the Northern Pacific Railroad. In 1890 the name of the town was changed to a word made up by taking the first syllables of the three names-Buckley, Coulter and David. Colonel W. F. Prosser (History of the Puget Sound Country, Volume L, page 249) says that this combination name was first proposed as early as 1873 but that Mr. Shead insisted upon his choice of "Seatco."

Budd Inlet, in the southern portion of Puget Sound, Thurston County. In later years it has often gone by the name of Olympia Bay. It was named in 1841 by the Wilkes Expedition in honor of Thomas A. Budd, who shipped as acting master of the United States ship Peacock when the expedition started but was transferred to the Vincennes at "Feejee." He was in charge of one of the exploring boats while the squadron was anchored at Nisqually. Others of the younger officers were similarly honored by having their names given to portions of Puget Sound. Wilkes sought to give Budd another honor by naming "Budd Harbor," but recent charts have changed that to Washington Harbor, in Clallam County.

Bull's Head, a portion of the shore of Port Ludlow, Jefferson County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, gave the name but it does not appear on recent charts.

Bumping Lake, east of Mount Rainier, in Yakima County. Preston's Map of Oregon and Washington West of the Cascade Mountains, 1856, shows it as "Lake Plehnam" and the United States General Land Office Map of Washington, 1897, calls it "Tannum Lake." Bumping Lake seems well established as the name on the most recent maps.

Bumping River, in Yakima County. It drains Bumping Lake into the Naches River.

Bunker Hill, a town in Skamania County. It was named by B. Tillotson and a man named McGinty. (Names, MSS., Letter 324.)

Burbank, a town in Walla Walla County. Will H. Parry of Seattle, who recently died in Washington City while a member of the Federal Trade Commission, was interested in an irrigating enterprise which he called the Burbank Power and Water Company, and the site of the power house Burbank in honor of Luther Burbank, the famous horticulturist.

Burke, a town in Grant County. Among the early settlers here were some American Germans from a place known as Alloeze, in Minnesota. For about two years the place went by the name of "Alloweze." In 1907 James M. Burke, postmaster (who now lives at Newport, Tennessee), was honored by a petition which caused the name to be changed to Burke. (Mark M. Connell, in Names MSS., Letter 390.)

Burke Island, in the Columbia River, Cowlitz County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, shows it as "Paia Island." It appears as Burke Island on the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey Chart 6153, dated April, 1914.

Burksville, once a post office not far from Marengo, in Columbia County. It was established on the claim of Marshall B. Burk in 1875. He became postmaster and his name was given to the office. It was discontinued when the post office at Marengo was established in 1878. (Illustrated History of Southeastern Washington, page 378.)

Burley, a town in Kitsap County. It is at the mouth of a creek by that name and it is said that the creek got its name from a pioneer settler. (Leola E. Stein, in Names MSS., Letter 394.) Burlington, a city in Skagit County. John P. Millett and William McKay established a logging camp there in 1882. Mr. McKay platted the town January 1, 1891, and a post office with the new name was secured the same year. It has become an important railroad center.

Burnett, a town in the coal mining district of Pierce County. It was named in honor of Charles H. Burnett, one of the pioneer coal mine operators in the Pacific Northwest. (Meany's Collection of Pioneer Lives of Washington.)

Burnie Point, see Grays Point, west cape of Grays Bay in Pacific County.

Burrows Bay and Island, west of Fidalgo Island in Skagit County. The island was named by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841, in honor of Lieutenant William Burrows. Under the item of Allan Island it is shown how Wilkes intensified the honor for Captain William Henry Allen by naming the waterway "Argus Bay" after the ship in which Allen was mortally wounded. In a similar way, after naming Burrows Island, Wilkes named the waterway to the north "Horets Harbor," though the present charts show it as Bellingham Channel. It was in the Hornet that Lieutenant Burrows gained great praise as a seaman. After his death Congress voted a gold medal for his nearest male relative. What was "Argus Bay" is shown as Burrows Bay on recent charts. Burrows and Allan Islands were shown on the Spanish charts as (Sutil y Mexicana) "Las dos Islas Morros."

Burton, a town on the east coast of Vashon Island in King County. It was named in 1892 by Mrs. M. F. Hatch after the town in which she formerly lived in McHenry County, Illinois. (Mrs. A. Hunt, in Names MSS., Letter 84.)

Bush, a town at the southern end of Lake Samamish in King County. It was named for the first settlers in Squak Valley. (J. B. Scott, in Names MSS.f Letter 499.)

Bush Point, on the west coast of Whidbey Island, a cape of Mutiny Bay, in Island County. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, called it "Point Leavett," but in 1855 the United States Coast Survey changed its name. The report, after speaking of neighboring bluffs, says: "A low point with one or two clumps of trees and bushes, to which has been given the name Bush Point." (U. S. Public Document, 1005, page 443.)

Bush Prairie, near Olympia in Thurston County. It was named in honor of George Bush, a colored man of high character, who came to Puget Sound in the party with Michael T. Simmons. Bush was the first settler on the prairie that bears his name. There is a post office there called Bush. (H. B. McElroy, in Names MSS., Letter 46.)

Bushelier Lake, see Spanaway Lake.

Butler, town in Skamania County, changed in name to Skamania.

Butler's Cove, on the western shore of Budd Inlet, near Olympia, in Thurston County. It was named for John L. Butler, who secured the adjoining upland as a government donation claim. (George N. Talcott, in Names MSS., Letter 226.)

Byron, a town in Yakima County. The first inhabitants there found a railroad post marked "Byron," and that name has continued. (E. E. McMillen, in Names MSS., Letter 401.)

Washington AHGP | Geographic Names

Source: Washington Historical Quarterly, Volume 8 - 14


Please Stop by again!!

AHGP

Back to Washington AHGP

This page was last updated

Copyright August @2011 -  AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project.